Tennis: A slow week on the competition front was spiced up when Sports Illustrated revealed three WTA stars gracing the pages of its swimsuit issue.
By Andrea Leand, PSN analyst
>>Listen live to Prime Sports Tennis, Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET
- Serena Williams, Caroline Wozniacki and Genie Bouchard graced the pages of Sports Illustrated’s much viewed swimsuit issue.
- Juan Martin Del Potro hired Argentina’s Davis Cup captain Daniel Orsanic as a coach.
ATP TOUR: ABN AMRO Tennis Tournament
Final: Jo Wilfried Tsonga def. David Goffin, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
- Tsonga claimed his 13th ATP title and 401st career victory to move to No. 11 in the world. The 31-year-old Frenchman upset top seed Marin Cilic 7-6 (8), 7-6 (5) in the quarterfinals and No.4 Tomas Berdych in the semifinals. “The last couple of months, I put in a lot of effort to come back to this level,” said Tsonga. “It’s a huge reward…and it gives me new expectations for the rest of the year.”
- France’s Pierre-Hugues Herbert toppled No. 2 seed Dominique Thiem 6-4, 7-6(3) in the quarterfinals.
- Finalist David Goffin will become the first Belgian to break the Top 10 ATP ranks by moving to No.10.
ATP TOUR: Memphis Open
Final: Ryan Harrison def. Nikolai Basilashvili 6-1, 6-4
- After 10 turbulent years in the pros, Harrison grabbed his first ATP title and a career high ranking of 43rd. As a highly touted rookie, Harrison struggled with expectations and dropped out of the top 100 but developed a better attitude and discipline to forge through qualifiers in the past year. In Memphis, he beat No.3 seed Sam Querrey in the second round on the path to the title.
- Georgian-born Basilashvili, who beat Dominque Thiem the previous week in Sofia, took out top seed Ivo Karlovic 7-6 (2), 6-3 in the second round to raise his ranking to a career-best 53rd.
- Donald Young saved eight of nine break points to upend No.2 seed John Isner 7-6 (5), 3-6, 7-6 (6) in the quarterfinals.
ATP TOUR: Argentina Open
Final: Alexandr Dolgopolov def. Kei Nishikori 7-6 (4), 6-4
- Though Dolgopolov had lost to the defending champion in each of five previous meetings and came to the event with a 1-4 match record in 2017, he won his first ATP title since 2012 with more aggressive play on the big points to seal the title and a No. 50 ranking.
WTA TOUR: Qatar Total Open
Final: Karolina Pliskova def. Caroline Wozniacki 6-3, 6-4
- Pliskova, ranked No.3 in the world, overpowered former world champion Wozniacki to claim her second title this year and eighth of her career.
- Pliskova blasted past an invigorated No.3 seed Dominique Cibulkova 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 in semifinals. Wozniacki, after being unveiled as a Sports Illustrated’s swimsuit model, outlasted nemesis and No.4 seed Agnieszka Radwanska 7-5, 6-3 in the second round.
- Top seed Angelique Kerber, sporting a disappointing 4-3 match record so far this year, fell again to Daria Kasatkina 6-4, 0-6, 6-4 in her opening match.
ATP TOUR: Delray Beach Open
- Site: Delray Beach, Fla.
- Defending champion: Sam Querrey
ATP TOUR: Open 13 Provence
- Site: Marseilles, France
- Defending champion: Nick Krygios
ATP TOUR: Rio Open
- Site: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Defending champion: Pablo Cuevas
WTA TOUR: Dubai Duty Free Championships
- Site: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Top seed: Angelique Kerber