Tennis: Novak Djokovic’s 2017 season is done after determining his elbow injury needs more time to heal. On the women’s side, Simona Halep endures wild-card hijinks in California.
By Andrea Leand, PSN analyst
- Novak Djokovic announced his injured right elbow will force him to miss the remainder of the 2017 season. The injury prompted an early exit from his Wimbledon quarterfinal, retiring two games into the second set against Tomas Berdych.
- John Isner, fresh off his fourth BB&T Atlanta Open crown, withdrew from the Citi Open to address a right knee injury. The top-ranked American male also recently got engaged to actress Madison McKinley.
- Simona Halep, No.2 in the world, requested a wild card into Bank of the West Classic – which only has one player ranked in the top 13 – but was turned down. Halep instead took a wild card into the Citi Open and will be the new No.1 if she reaches the final. The Bank of the West Classic gave its main-draw wild cards to Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova and California junior Claire Liu.
- Victoria Azarenka withdrew from the Bank of the West Classic with a viral illness.
- Venus and Serena Williams have pledged $1 million toward a 26-court tennis complex and museum that will be built at Miramar Regional Park near Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
ATP TOUR: BB&T Atlanta Open
Final: John Isner def. Ryan Harrison, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (7)
- Isner captures his fourth Atlanta crown and 10th career title to rise to No.18 in the world rankings, reclaiming his place as the highest ranking American man.
ATP TOUR: German Open
Final: Leonardo Mayer def. Florian Mayer, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
- Leonardo Mayer, a lucky loser in the draw, upset top seed Albert Ramos Vinolas in the opening round on the way to his second career title. It marked the second consecutive week on the ATP circuit that a lucky loser had come back to win. “It’s something special about this sport,” he said. “I lost in qualifying and then beat the No. 1 seed. … Now I took the opportunity.”
ATP TOUR: J. Safra Sarasin Swiss Open
Final: Fabio Fognini def. Yannick Hanfmann, 6-4, 7-5
- Fognini grabbed his fifth career title with his win over the German qualifier, rising to No.25 in the rankings.
WTA TOUR: Ericsson Open
Final: Katerina Siniakova def. Caroline Wozniacki, 6-3, 6-4
- Siniakova captured her second tour title to rise to No.39 in the rankings. Wozniacki, playing her fifth final this year, jumps to No.6.
WTA TOUR: Jiangxi Open
Final: Shuai Peng def. Nao Hibino, 6-3, 6-2
- Peng delighted her hometown crowd by taking her second tour title and moving to No.23.
ATP TOUR: Citi Open
- Site: Washington, D.C.
- Top seed: Dominic Thiem
ATP TOUR: Abierto Mexicano de Tenis Mifel
- Site: Los Cabos, Mexico
- Top seed: Tomas Berdych
ATP TOUR: Generali Open
- Site: Kitzbuhel, Austria
- Top seed: Pablo Cuevas
WTA TOUR: Citi Open
- Site: Washington, D.C.
- Top seed: Simona Halep
WTA TOUR: Bank of the West Classic
- Site: Stanford, Calif.
- Top seed: Garbine Muguruza